Monday, September 28, 2009

Too cool for law school?

Please see my original post here.


I'm realizing that I've been complaining a lot here. So it's time to talk about the law school things that I love.

  • I am completely blown away by the fact that I can now read a hypothetical situation and argue both sides of a case. I'm pretty sure I couldn't effectively do that six weeks ago. Perhaps I couldn't even do it ineffectively. Knowing that in six more weeks I may be twice as good at arguing is AWESOME. Watch out world; I'm gonna debate the CRAP out of you. (Also, watch out, friends and family. I'm gonna be really annoying.)

  • Law school professors are pretty cool. They're not all hanging-out-on-the-street cool--though some of them are--but my experience is that they're smart and sometimes witty and often compassionate and always intensely invested in my education. They really want me to get this stuff.

  • A friend of mine just opted out of an arbitration clause in his cable contract. Two weeks ago I didn't know what an arbitration clause was, and now I know to deny it. Side note: I will never ever sign a contract without reading it again.

  • For fun, a classmate and I argued for ten minutes about whether putting coins in a vending machine constitutes acceptance of an offer (is your pop tart a contract?). For FUN.

  • I'm surrounded by hundreds of really, really intelligent people. While that is sometimes tough, it's also pretty neat. The law building is a gigantic steaming brain. Being a nerd has never been so normal.


As I wrote here, law school is a crazy, back-and-forth demon drop of a ride. Or it would be if the Demon Drop car was merged like this:

roller-coaster demon drop


All of this is exquisitely appropriate for me, right now, in this place. It's hard, and it hurts and it's scary. But the guy on the platform checked my shoulder straps and they seem to be locked.

No comments:

Post a Comment