Saturday, September 26, 2009

It's because of the unfreezing process

[Please see my original post here.]

You know what? Law school is freaking HARD.


I was pretty naive when I [wrote this post]. Probably I still am. In that previous post I wrote about the academic difficulties that law school brought. I still maintain that studying law requires brain cells that I didn't even know I had (and some I'm not sure I'll ever find). The learning is incredibly tough. But the other thing that's threatening to destroy many of the students in my class is, well, the students in my class.


See, we're all pretty smart. We passed the LSAT and everything. Even got accepted into law school.


Now put all of us in a lecture hall together and see how long we last.


I think I'm may be somewhere near the middle of the pack. I know I'm not going to top out the curve, but I'm pretty sure I won't be at the bottom. I'd love to be number 1 but I don't believe that's going to happen. While I'm not thrilled to be law-school average, I've had worse things in my life. But, see, that's the really tough part about law school: it's excruciating because I'm faced with my shortcomings every single day. Everyone in my class is really smart and even though I work veryveryveryvery hard it seems that the commentators hecklers inner monologue law school gods are rooting for the other guy.


Oho! You think you understand UCC 2-207? You don't know how very wrong you are. Muahaha. But that guy sitting two rows behind you? He's all OVER 2-207. And the woman behind him? She's got 2-207 DOWN and she can recite all rules relating to express and implied warranties. You think you "get" the rules for cases that arise under federal law? Then explain to me why this plaintiff can sue that defendent on a state law claim in New Hampshire when the plaintiff's well-pleaded complaint involves a tort with an embedded federal issue but the case STILL can't make it to federal court. Now tell me why the defendant may have it removed to federal court and how she would go about doing that. Now recite 2-207 again.


Still think you're smart? Because if you do the person sitting in the back snickering might have another thing to say about it. And if you don't think you're smart the person beside that person will probably be the first to agree with you.


This isn't just [about the curve], though that stupid curve does mess with us. It's more about the competitive nature of law students and the discovery that "oh, dear. I'm not the smartest person in the class." It's about insecurities and egos and even though it's great to be surrounded by a large number of really intelligent people it sometimes sucks to be surrounded by a large number of really competitive really intelligent people. In that, it's a lot like [this thing I posted a week ago]. It's a love/hate/love/hate kind of thing.


I suppose if it were different it wouldn't be law school.


Statler and Waldorf

No comments:

Post a Comment