Thursday, August 13, 2009

Holy CRAP! Those law books are EXPENSIVE!


These are the required law books for my first semester. They cost me $875. The books stacked on top are my personal books about preparing for law school. All told, the grouping of books cost me around $1000.

I'm not complaining; I knew this would be an expensive venture. Ok, I am complaining, but only squeakily. I DID know this would be an expensive pursuit. I just didn't know how quickly the costs would add up.

I had to buy reams of new clothes. Blouses, skirts, slacks, and even--gulp--a business suit now hang in my closet. I also bought a half-dozen shoes, including a pair of black loafers.

I bought a brand new backpack, which is en route as I write. All the law school forums included multiple endorsements for Tom Bihn's Brain Bag. It seems to be the Snoopy's doghouse of backpacks. $200 later my olive green bag is on its way.

In addition I have all the extra costs of school to tack on. A combination lock for my locker; and ethernet cable; a laptop cable; highlighters and pens and paper and binders and folders and god knows what else are requiring me to open my wallet. My bank account is dwindling but the folks at Discover and Visa headquarters are thrilled that I've returned to school.

And all this so I can graduate and work 70-hour weeks, wearing business attire, carrying a briefcase, in a job market that's dwindling, hard-hit by the recession.

I wonder every day whether this was the right move. Only time will tell.

Please see my original post here: http://lauramcwilliams.wordpress.com/2009/08/13/holy-crap-those-law-books-are-expensive/

No comments:

Post a Comment